In a world where GitHub use is ubiquitous, it is no longer sufficient for a software foundation to offer just a software repo, mailing list, and website: we need to offer an enhanced set of services that facilitates increased adoption. You should host your project with the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) because:
- A neutral home for your project increases the willingness of developers from other companies and independent developers to collaborate, contribute, and become committers.
- Endorsement by leading cloud native architects of the CNCF’s Technical Oversight Committee is an independent signal of the quality of your project.
- Priority access to CNCF’s Community Infrastructure Lab, which includes state-of-the-art x86 and ARMv8 bare metal servers for software builds, continuous integration, scale testing, and demonstrations.
- We provide engagement with the CNCF’s End User Board of leading companies doing cutting-edge cloud native deployments.
- You will have control over tens of thousands of dollars per year to improve your project documentation.
- Your existing committers still control your project, and we just ask that you document a neutral governance process.
- You can work with our full-time press relations and analyst relations teams to increase awareness of and excitement about your project.
- Receive regular reports on press mentions and comparisons to similar projects.
- CNCF is able to leverage the expertise of its parent organization, The Linux Foundation, which hosts other successful projects including the Linux kernel, Let’s Encrypt, and Node.js. For example, CNCF arranged a collaboration between Kubernetes developers and Linux Foundation fellow and stable kernel maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman to discuss high-velocity software development techniques.
- You will have access to full-time CNCF staff who are eager to assist your project in myriad ways and help make it successful.
- We will include you in the CNCF cross-project, cross-cloud continuous integration program.
- Our world-class events team will create a track for your project at our KubeCon + CloudNativeCon events, bringing together developers and end users. We host events every year in Europe, China, and North America. In addition, we can help create a custom conference for you.
- We can also help run events targeted specifically at your project (like PromCon), and/or be a sponsor at those events.
- We have travel funding available for your non-corporate-backed developers and to increase attendance of women and other underrepresented minorities.
- We will connect you to our worldwide network of Cloud Native meetup groups and ambassadors to raise awareness of your project. We will also help sponsor meetup groups dedicated to your project so food and beverages can be provided.