The Cloud Native Network Function (CNF) Certification Program gives confidence to Communication Service Providers (CSPs) that applications provided by their vendors demonstrate cloud native best practices.
It’s challenging for telco providers to navigate the cloud native world. From zero downtime to increased security concerns, there’s a complex ecosystem to manage all while guaranteeing users an outstanding experience. Knowing which products to rely on is the key to success.
The CNF Certification Program is designed to connect CSPs with Network Equipment Providers and CNF creators that have clearly demonstrated adoption of cloud native best practices in their networking products.
With goals for service reliability, risk reduction, and lowering capital and operating expenses (CAPEX and OPEX costs), the CNF Certification supports any product that runs in a certified Kubernetes environment, which encourages cross-cloud compatibility.
Table of contents
- Interoperability: Standardization for communication between applications and the cloud platforms
- Shared experience: Build upon the work of the community through the adoption of cloud native best practices
- Predictability: Certified applications act in a predictable manner when running on cloud native infrastructure like Kubernetes. Unexpected behavior should be rare because application specific issues are weeded out during the best practice testing.
- Timely updates: To remain certified, vendors need to certify with new releases of their product and pass new certification tests yearly, or more frequently, so you can be sure that the products are following the best practices adopted by the cloud native community.
- Confirmability: Any end user can confirm that an application remains compliant to cloud native practices by running the identical open source certification application (CNF Test Suite) that was used to certify.
Look for products that proudly display the Certified CNF logo. The following products have earned Certified CNF status:
How to get certified
2. Run the tests
Follow the instructions to run your tests using the CNF Test Suite.
A reviewer will approve your PR at which point you are certified.
- CNF Working Group – mailing list + GitHub
- CNF Test Suite Contributor Meeting – mailing list + GitHub
- CNCF Slack Channel #cnf-certification
“The CNF Certification is a great tool with which we can measure and drive cloud native practices across our platforms and network functions”Tom Kivlin, principal cloud architect at Vodafone
“[CNF Certification] efforts provide valuable validation, yielding best practices to improve critical vendor interoperability and encouraging additional momentum around CNF deployments.”Ahmed Guetari, VP of Products for Service Providers at F5
“[The CNF Certification] program will help our advancements in cloud native solutions while ensuring customers can implement these tools with confidence.”Marc Price, CTO, MATRIXX Software
“PANTHEON.tech is delighted to be part of CNCF’s initiative to show what cloud native computing should strive to be for telecom organizations.”Miroslav Mikluš, CPO of PANTHEON.tech