Hot off an amazing three days in Barcelona, here is a snapshot into some of the key highlights and news from KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Europe 2019! This year we welcomed more than 7,700 attendees from around the world to hear compelling talks from CNCF project maintainers, end users and community members.
– Michelle Noorali (@michellenoorali) May 21, 2019
The annual European event grew by more than 3,000 attendees than last year in Copenhagen. At the conference, CNCF announced its ever-growing ecosystem has hit over 400 member companies, of which there are now more than 88 end user members. We also learned that Kubernetes has more than 2.66 million posts from 26,214 contributors.
– Nate Taber (@nctaber) May 24, 2019
– Belmiro Moreira (@belmiromoreira) 21 May 2019
– Alex (@muehsi) 21 May 2019
– lobo (@arrayexception) 21 May 2019
This year we welcomed Bryan Liles as a KubeCon + CloudNativeCon co-chair! He took the stage to announce all the great project news that has come out in the last couple months.
– Cheryl Hung (@oicheryl) 21 May 2019
– Bridget Kromhout (@bridgetkromhout) 21 May 2019
During the opening keynotes we also heard from CNCF Executive Director, Dan Kohn who spoke about the key factors that contributed to the massive growth of the Kubernetes ecosystem, and CNCF Director of Ecosystem, Cheryl Hung who shared CNCF’s growth and plans to continue growing a positive community. Lucas Käldström, CNCF Ambassador, Independent & Nikhita Raghunath, Software Engineer, Loodse shared insights on the what, why and how of contributing to Kubernetes.
– Arun Gupta (@arungupta) 21 May 2019
– Bridget Kromhout (@bridgetkromhout) 21 May 2019
– Vallery Lancey (@vllry) 21 May 2019
– Kaslin Fields (@kaslinfields) May 21, 2019
– Aaron Crickenberger Maintainerati (@spiffxp) 21 May 2019
Kubernetes Boothday Party!
While we celebrated the cloud native community, we also got to celebrate Kubernetes’ fifth birthday with a “Boothday Party” and donut wall!
– JY (@JaafarYahya2) 21 May 2019
– Chris Mark (@ChrsMark) 21 May 2019
– Juan Antonio Osorio (@jaosorior) 21 May 2019
Continuing to Embrace Diversity in the Ecosystem
At KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU, CNCF’s diversity program offered scholarships to 56 recipients, from traditionally underrepresented and/or marginalized groups, to attend the conference! The $100K investment for Barcelona was donated by CNCF, Aspen Mesh, Google Cloud, Red Hat, Twistlock and VMware.
CNCF has offered more than 300 diversity scholarships to attend KubeCons since November 2016.
– Daniel Bryant (@danielbryantuk) May 21, 2019
We also had a wonderful time at the Diversity lunch and EmpowerUs events!
I really Enjoyed Diversity lunch ❤️a huge shoutout to @puja108 for leading a table on introduction and contribution to Kubernetes and to @apbhatnagar for inspirational speech on core values of our community. Together as a TEAM #kubecon2019 #Kubecon #CNCF pic.twitter.com/hNwMGcsivL
– Diana Abitova (@abitova_diana) May 24, 2019
– Khaly DeThylis @KubeConEU (@Gaelleacas) May 22, 2019
– Jen Madriaga (@JenInnovate) May 20, 2019
Take Good Care: Open Sourcing Mental Illness
This year at KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU, we made sure that self care and mental wellness was top of mind for everyone. As a result, we got to hear inspiring talks throughout the conference on these topics, plus, we had a booth 100% dedicated to relaxing and mental health. We felt so much community support!
– Seth McCombs (@SethMcCombs) May 23, 2019
– Chris Lentricchia (@IAmCippino) May 21, 2019
– Priyanka Sharma (@pritianka) 21 May 2019
All Attendee Party at Poble Espanyol!
Our events team organized a fantastic party at Poble Espanyol, celebrating the many achievements of the cloud native ecosystem in the beautiful Spanish courtyard!
– Christoph Streit (@christophstreit) May 22, 2019
– Kaslin Fields (@kaslinfields) May 22, 2019
Keynote and Session Highlights
All presentations and videos are available to watch. Here is how to find all the great content from the show:
- Keynotes, sessions and lightning talks can be found on the CNCF YouTube
- Photos can be found on the CNCF Flickr
- Presentations can be found on the Conference Event Schedule, click on the session and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the PDF of the presentation for download
“From the people Computer Weekly spoke to at Kubecon-CloudNativeCon, there is a sense that Kubernetes is breaking out of the open source developer space into the enterprise.” Cliff Saran, ComputerWeekly
“Five years after Google released the toolkit for managing workloads to the open source community, Kubernetes became the celebrated boy. Nothing seems to stop its advance, especially because the developers have embraced this system.” Alfred Montie, Computable.nl
“The Kubernetes container-orchestration system is one platform that is both surviving and thriving.” Nick Marinoff, SiliconANGLE
“It’s apparent that whether an application lives on the Google Cloud Platform or in an on-premises data center, it can be done with containers.” Kristen Nicole, SiliconANGLE
“As stated by Dan Kohn, Kubernetes has emerged on the shoulders of giants: on Linux, the Internet and various cluster manager implementations of cloud-native businesses from Spotify to Facebook to Google. The exciting question for the conference is which innovations will come on the shoulders of the giant Kubernetes in the next few days.” Josef Adersberger, Alex Krause, Heise Online
“The obvious conclusion: If you’re interested in enterprise IT infrastructure, Kubernetes should be your technology of choice, and KubeCon is the place to be.” Jason Bloomberg, SiliconANGLE
– Peter Zaitsev (@PeterZaitsev) May 26, 2019
– CNCF (@CloudNativeFdn) May 23, 2019
My learnings from #KubeCon #CloudNativeCon this week:
– #Kubernetes it’s definitely the standard for #containers #orchestration
– Many open source projects around this technology
– Tracing for #microservices is crucial
– Give a try to #helm 3
– @CERN still doing great things pic.twitter.com/BHshnCRoXD
– lobo (@arrayexception) May 25, 2019
It’s a Wrap!
– Liz Rice @ home (@lizrice) May 24, 2019
– Jérémie Vallée (@JeremieVallee) May 26, 2019
Save the Dates!
Register now for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon + Open Source Summit China 2019, scheduled for June 24-26, 2019 at the Shanghai Expo Centre, Shanghai, China
Save the date for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Europe 2020, scheduled for March 30-April 2, 2020 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands