CNCF Webinar Series – Serverless Operations
September 25 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
FaaS functions on Kubernetes are increasingly popular for writing short-lived stateless applications. We’ve often covered the developer productivity advantages, such as the time to create a useful application from scratch without learning a lot about Kubernetes.
In this webinar, we will focus on the operational aspects of serverless applications on Kubernetes. We’ll talk about this in the context of Fission, an open-source FaaS framework used to run Serverless functions on any infrastructure, on-premise or in the cloud.
Operations is largely about reliably managing changes to applications, and making sure they are running optimally.
We’ll cover operational aspects of serverless applications, including:
- Managing deployments using declarative specifications
- Tracking changes to deployment configuration.
- Using canary deployments to reduce the risk and impact of application changes
- Managing operational expense: We’ll show how you can make different cost-performance tradeoffs; we’ll discuss what the defaults choices imply, and how to tune these.
- Finally, we’ll demonstrate how to track serverless application performance and issue alerts using Prometheus.
Creator of Fission.io open source serverless framework
Soam Vasani is a software engineer at Platform9 Systems, where he created and works on the Fission framework and has also worked on Platform9’s Kubernetes cluster deployment and management product. His past work includes distributed file systems and contributions to the GNU debugger and toolchain. He’s interested in distributed systems, DevOps tools and frameworks, and programming languages.